by Neil Clifton
We took a family holiday to Murcia in 2019, a part of Sapin I hadn't visited before. As per normal on a foreign trip I was keen to get to the markets and local supermarkets to have a look at the variety of fresh food available. What struck me was the ammount of octopus for sale, both whole and just the tentacles.
With no BBQ and a humble kitchen in which to prepare a whole octopus I decided just for the tentacles. Looking at recipes for the region I came acros Pulpo a la Murciana - simple and absolutely excellent.
2 octopus tentacles
2 tbs olive oil
2 tsp paprika
Half a lemon
Palm full of corriander.
1. Bring a pot of water up to boil.
2. Insert the octopus tentecles into the pot for 30 seconds and then remove fo 30 seconds - repeat 4 times.
3. Combine the olive oil and paprika and warm in a small frying pan.
4. Dry and drain the octopus and place into the hot oil and paprika.
5. Fry for 45-60 seconds.
6. Sprikle with corriander and juice of half a lemon and serve.
HINTS & TRICKS
While on a cooking course at Sydney Seafood School several years ago, I was taught to cook octopus, squid et al for either 4 or 40 minutes, this is the shorter time, by taking the octopus in and out of the boiling water should mean that it doesnt overcook and become rubbery - A chilled white, is the perfect accompaniment.