Using chicken thighs gives the flavours of the dish the cut of chicken that they really deserve. The longer you leave the marinade the better and certainly do not be put off by the list of ingredients - you can buy really good ready made spice mixes, I particularly like the one from Seasoned Pioneers.
An easy and healthy dish that is perfect for a summer evening, served on naan bread or just as a salad - I urge you to give it a go. By cooking directly and indirectly, the chicken remains moist, but the direct grilling at the ends allows you to get some crispy bits too.
120 ml extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
800 g boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/4 Red cabbage - shredded
1/4 Green cabbage - shredded
3 tomoatoes sliced
Mint & yoghurt sauce
Hints & Drinks
This is also easily done in the oven, 30 minutes at gas mark 7.
I recommend this Zinfandel which compliments the spices. Italian grapes and a lot of black fruit and pepper and low on tannin.
1. Combine all of the marinade ingredients, cover the chicken.
2. Set up the BBQ for direct and in-direct cooking.
3. Thread the chicken on to metal skewers or wooden ones soaked in water.
4. Place the chicken on indirect side so they are not directly over the flames, and cook until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 155 deg F.
5. Move over the the direct cooking side of the BBQ and cooked, moving and turning frequently until internal temp reaches 165F.
6. Allow to rest for 5 minutes and serve with the salad.